Artwork of SpongeBob
|Occupation(s):||Fry cook (Krusty Krab)|
|Family:||Margaret SquarePants (mother)|
Harold SquarePants (father)
Stanley SquarePants (cousin)
|Pet(s):||Gary the Snail|
|Enemies:||Sheldon J. Plankton|
|Interests:||Jellyfishing, blowing bubbles, karate|
|Education:||Mrs. Puff's Boating School|
|Behind the scenes|
|First appearance:||"Help Wanted" (1999)|
|Portrayed by:||Tom Kenny|
- This article is about the main character. For the franchise of the same name, see SpongeBob SquarePants (franchise). For other uses, see SpongeBob SquarePants (disambiguation).
SpongeBob SquarePants is the main and titular protagonist of the SpongeBob SquarePants franchise. He is a yellow sea sponge that lives in a pineapple with his pet snail, Gary. SpongeBob's best friend is Patrick, and his other friend is Sandy. SpongeBob works as the fry cook of the Krusty Krab and is skilled at making Krabby Patties. He frequently attends Mrs. Puff's Boating School despite not knowing how to properly drive a boatmobile. Some of SpongeBob's favorite activities during his free time are jellyfishing, blowing bubbles, or practicing karate. He has been portrayed by Tom Kenny since the start of the series.
Although SpongeBob is generally good-natured, his personality is juvenile and overly optimistic, often to the annoyance of other characters, especially his teacher Mrs. Puff and his grouchy neighbor, Squidward.
SpongeBob is an anthropomorphic sea sponge, although he resembles a kitchen sponge. His arms and legs are thin, retractable, and slightly disproportionate from his body. SpongeBob has three black, wiry eyelashes, and his eyes have sky-blue irises with very dilated pupils. SpongeBob has two prominent front teeth on the upper part of his mouth. His body is flexible and capable of transforming into other shapes. SpongeBob can absorb physical attacks, such as punches, and large amounts of water. If SpongeBob's arms or legs call off, he can either reattach them or regrow new ones.
Most of the time, SpongeBob is wearing a private school uniform consisting of a business shirt, a red necktie, and brown pants. He wears a pair of white briefs beneath, black, shiny shoes, and knee-length socks with a red stripe and a blue stripe. On special occasions, SpongeBob often wears a red bowtie instead of a necktie.
Names in other languages
- In the German version of the show, SpongeBob's name is SpongeBob Schwammkopf which means "SpongeBob SpongeHead".
- In the French version of the show, SpongeBob's name is Bob L'éponge, which means "Bob the Sponge".
- In the Norwegian and Danish version of the show, SpongeBob's name is SvampeBob Firkant, which means "SpongeBob Square".
- In the Korean version of the show, SpongeBob's name is 네모네모 스폰지밥 (Nemonemo SpongeBob), which means "SquareSquare SpongeBob".
- In the Latin American version of the show, SpongeBob's name is "Bob Esponja" (pronounced Bob Espon-haa), which is a literal translation of the English name. It should be noted, however, that in this case "Esponja" is *the character's last name, while the "SquarePants" portion of the original English name is dropped altogether (except in Brazil, where his surname is "Calça-quadrada", also a literal translation of the English surname).
- In the Greek version, he is called Μπομπ Σφουγγαρακης Τετραγωνοπαντελονης (Bob Sfougarakis Tetragonopantelonis). Tetragonopantelonis is a literal rendering of SquarePants, while 'Bob Sfougarakis' means 'Bob the little sponge'. Due to this, he is mostly referred to simply as Bob in the Greek version, rather than his full name.
- SpongeBob SquarePants article on Wikipedia